To run the Excel client on Mac using a virtual machine (VM):
- Prepare the VM machine.
- Download a prepared VM from the Microsoft website: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/
- Unzip it using Unarchiver, as suggested by Microsoft. (With another tool you may get incorrect results.) If you download the VM in a ZIP file for VMWare, you should have three files.
- Start Fusion.
- Import the existing VM: navigate to the *.OVF file (one of the three in the unzipped folder).
- In the running Windows 10 instance install:
- MS Excel (You can use Office 2016, there is no need to register it.)